Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: What Fridge to get?  (Read 27485 times)

Offline MuxGuys

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Re: What Fridge to get?
« Reply #30 on: Sep 17, 2016, 04:59:45 PM »
After a load of research we bought another Trailblaza fridge  :cup:

First one we bought was a 60ltr about 10 years ago second hand when the fridge was 10 years old and mounted on the draw bar of the camper trailer....sold the camper 3 years ago and fridge still going strong mounted out in the weather.

Second one we bought 5 years ago and had custom made in size for the rear of our then 105 series cruiser with outbacker draws....worked out to be about 55ltrs. Sold it with the Landcruiser as it may not have fitted our next purchase.

Only really 2 of us travelling now and don't want a drop down slide in our future for the vertically challenged wife so its a lower and longer 46ltr trailblaza from the Ute range.

You pay a little more for a Trailblaza, but they are made in Queensland by an Australian company with brilliant sales and service and the flush inside finish of the fridge is so much easier to live with than many of the other fridges with the semi exposed cooling lines in the internal wall.   

They may not be as esthetically pleasing to the eye as many others fridges in fact agricultural to some....but robust as buggary and look pretty sexy in polished alloy checker plate or the platinum finish  :tongue1:

:occasion14:

Offline MuxGuys

• LS-T Member
« Reply #31 on: Sep 23, 2016, 09:17:56 PM »
Here's our Trailblaza.... 50 ltr in the Platinum finish.

Offline Big Damo

• LS-U Member
« Reply #32 on: Sep 23, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
I've got a 110 litre Everkool cause you can never have too much beer when you go away

Offline Schtevo

• SX Member
« Reply #33 on: Sep 24, 2016, 06:29:07 PM »
I picked up one of these about 3 years ago when on special for around $450. At that price it was pretty attractive but I wasn't expecting the longevity of the "name brands"

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Ridge-Ryder-by-Evakool-Platinum-Fridge-Freezer-42-Litre/349024?menuFrom=1021364

So far I've been pleasantly surprised, used on both 240 and 12v and frequently mounted on the draw bar of a (motorcycle sized) camper trailer it has never missed a beat

Offline Richie rich

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #34 on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:17:52 PM »
Truth been known they probably all made in the same factory....much like the awnings
Cheers Richie.

Offline Djgtom

« Reply #35 on: Mar 18, 2017, 09:49:32 AM »
When i 1st seen this topic i thought holey sheet this will be a good read. Was quite civilized actually :)

I went from engel to waeco cfx as the engel wouldn't fit under the tub slider. Got 2 now which cop a beating in the boat and vibrations on NT roads.

I like those trailblazer ones as well.

Great forum btw

Offline ubahalex

• SX Member
« Reply #36 on: Mar 18, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »
Hi, i run a Waeco CFX 65 through a Ctek 250 Dual and into a 135ah AGM
Waeco sits on an ARB fridge slide.

The panel i run is a 100 watt and it looks after the fridge just fine.

Cheers
Dave

Hey Dave, did you make the brackets up for the solar panel under the rhino bars? Looks really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline knoath

« Reply #37 on: Mar 18, 2017, 01:33:41 PM »
A mate of mine just bought a Waeco CFX Fridge and Freezer for their round Oz tour... bloody jealous! Looks like a great bit of kit!
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

Offline Wal

• XRunner Member
  • 2015 DMAX LS-U
« Reply #38 on: Mar 18, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »
I have CFX65 in the back of the Dmax and love it. Use the wireless moniter that came with it so I can keep a check on it from the cabin.
2015 DMAX LS-U Dual Cab Tour Mate l  Venitian Red l  EGR Canopy l  Nudge Bar l Korr Light Bar l Dual Battery l Tinted Windows l Reversing Sensors l Dr Air Compressor l HPD Catchcan l Digoptions Head Unit l Toughdog Shocks

Ziggy

« Reply #39 on: Mar 18, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »
Had a Waeco CF40 for 7-8 years.  Lotta rough roads.  No problem.

Got an EvaKool RF60 fridge /freezer. It cools unevenly in fridge mode and draws 2X and more  the advertised amps. Service and support are excellent though.

Offline ubahalex

• SX Member
« Reply #40 on: Mar 18, 2017, 07:51:19 PM »
I've got a Waeco CFX40 for about 8months and works well, no complaints from me, fits 40 beers and enough room for food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dogsbreakfast

• LS-T Member
« Reply #41 on: Mar 18, 2017, 08:44:56 PM »
I've a 20 year old engel and a 1 year old cf40. Both great fridges. The new waeco is quieter and more efficient, but the old engel still does a top job 👍
2014 MU-X Fjord blue, TJM T13 bullbar, Runva Winch, 20" lightbar, Custom Bilstein shocks with Dobinson Springs, Hankook 265/70 r17.

Offline Mikebloke

• LS-U Member
« Reply #42 on: Mar 18, 2017, 08:55:52 PM »
We all know. You should buy an engel unless you're poor or stingy, as they are the best.  :toothy9:
That should liven this old one up a bit .

Offline geoffs

• LS-U Member
  • 2016 DMAX LS-M
« Reply #43 on: Mar 18, 2017, 10:04:39 PM »
I have an Evakool Glacier 40l. So far no issues, keeps the drinks nice and cold  :icon_smile:. You should have a look at the Evakool website as they have some really good deals on seconds especially the pricey one similar to the CFX which still come with the 5 year warranty.

Offline Mikebloke

• LS-U Member
« Reply #44 on: Mar 18, 2017, 10:27:57 PM »
On a serious note, if I was looking for a new fridge, I'd seriously consider the ones in 'Aussie batteries.com'
I think they're branded Giant. They seem very competitive, and their tests suggest they are pretty frugal on power.

Another great alternative, if you have the space, is one of the engel plastic 37 litre fridges. If you later want more capacity you can get a second one for use as a fridge or freezer. They are available for under $800. If you do end up with two, that's $1600 for 74 litres, fridge or freezer, or just one when only one is needed.

Quite a flexible option, and great quality too. They still utilise the sawafuji compressors.

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal