Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: What Fridge to get?  (Read 27624 times)

Offline knoath

Re: What Fridge to get?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2016, 03:06:24 PM »
I had a TechniIce 60lt fridge for almost two years when it failed at Bathurst (couldn't keep up! lol) as the gas leaked out of the compressor!
Took it back and swapped it no worries for a demo model. After waiting for the new replacement to come in I was told I was to be upgraded to the stainless steel model... can't complain about the service!
It sits on an Engel slide in the back of the DMax with a C-TEK 250S and 100AH battery. I will be adding a solar panel so I can run it full time as I'm told it's better for the fridge.

Sorry, no pic.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

dlncooke

« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2016, 03:11:47 PM »
I had a TechniIce 60lt fridge for almost two years when it failed at Bathurst (couldn't keep up! lol) as the gas leaked out of the compressor!
Took it back and swapped it no worries for a demo model. After waiting for the new replacement to come in I was told I was to be upgraded to the stainless steel model... can't complain about the service!
It sits on an Engel slide in the back of the DMax with a C-TEK 250S and 100AH battery. I will be adding a solar panel so I can run it full time as I'm told it's better for the fridge.

Sorry, no pic.

How'd mate, mines been on for 18 months and the dealer up here told me
to leave it on if possible.
100 watt panel will run it fine if it's as good on power as the Waeco CFX's

Cheers
Dave

Offline knoath

« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »
Hey Dave, it's a new fridge, completely different, so I'll have to see how it goes on juice.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

Offline Bojordan

• SX Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2016, 05:54:44 PM »
Mate, I have got the 6thgear auto 40L which is the exact same as the ironman,primus, powertech etc. with the seccop/danfoss compressor. Can't fault it, it has been in both my wife's car who does not have a dual battery set up so it was switched on and off when ever the car was turned off and it has been in my car plenty too. Can't fault it and the 5 year warranty gives me piece of mind. Check out Aldi, they have their own version of the same fridge for $499 at the moment, might be worth investigating.

Offline LST

• LS-U Member
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2016, 06:46:18 PM »
If you decide to go Waeco I notice Supercheap  have them in their Easter catalogue with a won't be beaten on price guarantee on all items
But personally I have an Engel and Technice or however you spell it
2013 D-max LST auto in Silver

Offline dogsbreakfast

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2016, 07:01:04 PM »
National luna leave them all for dead, but you pay for it....
2014 MU-X Fjord blue, TJM T13 bullbar, Runva Winch, 20" lightbar, Custom Bilstein shocks with Dobinson Springs, Hankook 265/70 r17.

Offline Isuzumu

« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2016, 08:31:18 PM »
I brought a Eva Kool Glacier 75 fridge /freezer last February and has done a trip around the block and now when I need to use it, to go shopping, it cools down real quick. The best thing is it only cost me $750, picked it up from there sales room in Calhoun draft,  also paid $85 for a cover.had a Wasco 80 for around 15 years and sold it for a carton of Coronas and a bottle of Chivas Regal Extra and it is still going strong.

Offline Mikebloke

• LS-U Member
« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2016, 11:14:55 PM »
I guess what everybody is saying, is that if you buy a well known brand of fridge, you'll most likely be happy with it.

Personally went Engel because I thought it was the best. Others bought theirs for the same reason . Personally I'd recommend 2x 38 litre Engels in plastic housing . Cheaper, easy to lift each one, and can make a combination of fridge and freezer , 2 fridges, etc etc. short trips, you're just taking and running one. That's space and running costs saved.

Mike

Offline MellieJ

• LS-M Member
« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2016, 12:21:10 PM »
I just recently went through this myself.
i was told *!* a few years back engle dropped their compressor and went with a new, and waeco picked it up and have been strong and reliable since.
i see others have been going weaco with no problems but i had heard too many stories to go that way. the "i told you so"s put me off.
outside looking in, its the typical brand debate.
i just bought 40l engel from discountcamping.com.au, i could not find anyone close to cheapness even with delivery ($38)
smiles here, good luck

Offline macka17

• LS-T Member
« Reply #24 on: Mar 19, 2016, 07:47:54 PM »
Somebody conning you.
Engel still have that thirsty swingmotor. And I believe they also do a version of Danfoss in a plastic case too.
That tell you something????

I've had 2 x split. Plate units in yachts. Waeco.
Both bounced round the world. one three times near now. still fine.
My 80ltr is near 12yrs never missed a beat as is prev 50ltr.

There are better ones. Blood bank and others use them but they start at around $2 1\2 grand and go up. Depends what you want.

Offline Mikebloke

• LS-U Member
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2016, 09:49:23 PM »
Sorry macka17, somebody seems to be conning you too. Sawafuji swing motor compressor  is in the 38 litre plastic Engel too. As for them being 'thirsty' , anybody who visits the Engel website will see a reproduction of the amended 4wd action comparo's where they admit printing incorrect consumption data provided to them by the lab. They actually sit midfield in that respect.

But again, it really comes down to individuals reasons to choose the one they end up purchasing. Each club swears theirs is the best. Kind of like tyres really.

Mike

Offline macka17

• LS-T Member
« Reply #26 on: Mar 20, 2016, 12:24:02 AM »
Fair enuff Mike.

But the power consumption of Engel.Waeco and others.

I've been in a coupla caravan,Yachting, car, forums. and spent a LOT of yrs cruising round this country in vans, Yachts etc.

Everywhere you go. Over a lot of yrs. when comparison figures come up. Some from people with both side by side.
The Engel always loses out by a long way.
Consumption wise.
Several caravan and yachting books over the yrs have figures to show the same too. Don't ask me which they long gone (I'm 74)  but the results of such stay in mind for future references.

I KNOW my 80ltr Waeco in it's insulation (17mm Ducting Insulation sheeting.  Magic.) in Darwin areas. runs quite comfortably as a freezer in rear of Patrol with 1 x 80w panel on top, a week at a time when fishing
.With contents frozen solid in Melbourne b4 we left for trips annually
Not so well as a fridge/freezer, as it's opened more often.
As a freezer it's actually MORE efficient than the prev 50ltr on same trips. Probably better insulation.

A bloke down by the Airport in Rocky. He's the Repairs agent for both.
He says the same. And he always has a lot more sick Engels in there than Waeco.

I'm sure I saw an advert coupla yrs ago from Engel with a Danfoss type comressor in a plastic case fridge?.
could be old age?.

Offline Engel

« Reply #27 on: Mar 20, 2016, 12:05:37 PM »

A bloke down by the Airport in Rocky. He's the Repairs agent for both.
He says the same. And he always has a lot more sick Engels in there than Waeco.

Got a name and address?

Offline Stevo51

• LS-U Member
« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2016, 09:50:57 PM »
Hi guys thanks for all the details have just today bought a 50l Waeco from Anaconda great deal I thought $1199 with $500 in extras inc stand,cover,small fridge, led light bar, tyre repair kit and other goodies can't wait to try out now to find solar panel thanks again
2017 LSU , TWIN CAB , CVS CANOPY,  REV CAMERA, UNIDEN RADIO, IMS BAR, 20inch LIGHT BAR,KINGS DRAWERS AND SIDES BOXED IN, HAVE JUST HAD GVM UPGRADE WITH HELP FROM PAKENHAM ISUZU DONE BY PEDDERS PAKENHAM.

Offline macka17

• LS-T Member
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2016, 11:40:32 AM »
will find no when home
up in Townsville at moment (kids)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal