General Boards > Off Topic

Diesel Containers

(1/4) > >>

dlncooke:
Q1    When traveling/touring when you carry extra diesel do you go for metal or the plastic fuel containers.I'm looking @ adding 3 x 20 litre Jerry cans for our trip not sure weather to get metal or the plastic ones.Anyone done remote trips with the plastic ones or just stick to the metal ones.They'll be strapped on a canopy tray.Q2   Can you travel with them laying down or do they need to be nozzle up !CheersDave

Bob D:
Hi dincooke.  We did around Australia in 2014, I carried two 20litre metal containers with diesel on the roof rack of our raised Troopy and my brother in law carried two 20litre plastic containers with diesel in holders on the A frame of his camper trailer.  We had no problems with either and we travelled some pretty ordinary roads, both dirt and bitumen.  Having said that when we finished our trip I had to give the metal containers back to my brother-in-law, after all they were his.  So for chrissy just gone and at my request my son bought be two 10litre plastic diesel containers from Supercheap.  I wanted the smaller containers because getting the full 20litre containers off the top of the Troopy was an effort and an effort (weight wise) for the initial pour too.  If your young and fit, not a problem.  The 10litre containers will be far easier for me to handle, especially now I don't have to get them off the top of a Troopy.
Bob D

Bob D:
Didn't answer all your question dincooke.  My brother in law carried his containers standing upright in their holders and I carried mine in a roof top container holder on their side (designed to carry that way) with the outlet/nozzle position elevated if you know what I mean.  I had no leaks or spillage problems.
Bob D

DmaxDave:
Carried a plastic jerry, lying down, in the roof basket, for 8,000 kms on some of the worst roads I have ever travelled.  No leaks, no issues.  Another three standing up on the CT's drawbar.  No issues or leaks either.

Dave

wintrmute:
Check the O-ring seals!

I have a couple of plastic jerry cans and they're fine, upright or lying down, but I borrowed one from a friend last year, and the o-ring was totally degraded.. it leaked all over the place. Ugh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version