General Boards > Off Topic

Tent carrying

(1/3) > >>

dlncooke:

Anyone have an OZtent. was wondering how you carry it.
straight on your racks or do you have a better method,

Cheers
Dave

Parko96:
Hi Dave,

Prior to my MUX and full length tradesman rack I owned an X-trail with traditional cross bars.

The X-trails cross bars were not spread very far apart and I worried about the stress on the OZtents aluminium frame with the overhang at each end. I ended up welding up a quick frame out of gal rolled hollow section a bit bigger than the OZtent, I then welded some mesh onto this frame. I then got a Rhino Rack set of U clamps to clamp the rack to the cross bars. Essentially it was  like a steel farm gate perfectly sized for the Oztent that bolted to the roof racks. I would simply just strap the tent onto the rack with ratchet straps. There was no longer any worry about the tents inner frame bending due to the overhang.

DannyG:
Dave we have a 30 second tent and used to carry it on the roof rack on our Patrol and sometimes even in the back with all the seats folded flat. It was a tight fit but it just went in there diagonally.

Our son uses it from time to time and he puts it in the back of his Dmax diagonally. He wants to get some racks of some sort though.

MuxGuys:
I mounted my Rhino racks 1000mm apart so I only have 400mm over hang on the RV4.....seams all good for "normal" reasonable road touring.......but I have a plan for a light weight alloy basket to take the Oztent when a rougher long distance road trip is expected to cover the concerns you mention. Rack will take the MaxTraxs too.

Cheers

dlncooke:
I came across this rack setup. $1080 installed. if you have the H/D internal bracket,

http://www.tradesmanroofracks.com.au/canopy-max-roof-rack/

Cheers
Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version