Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: GPS & Navigation apps/ units  (Read 12683 times)

Offline knoath

Re: GPS & Navigation apps/ units
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:33:41 AM »
Hey glenM64, does the Nushield Dayvue film hinder the touchscreen use?
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

Offline glenm64

« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2016, 10:36:33 AM »
Hey glenM64, does the Nushield Dayvue film hinder the touchscreen use?
No affect at all.  Except being able to see the screen.☺

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Isuzumu

« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:16:16 PM »
I use an android tablet 7 inch is a good size and they have the best screen resolution.  I have oziexplorer soft ware and have both hema and 250K topographic maps.
Some one is selling Oziexplorer with the 250K maps with the soft ware on a mini SD card for android on ebay for a little under $80.

Offline johnhu

• LS-M Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
I use an android tablet 7 inch is a good size and they have the best screen resolution.  I have oziexplorer soft ware and have both hema and 250K topographic maps.
Some one is selling Oziexplorer with the 250K maps with the soft ware on a mini SD card for android on ebay for a little under $80.

Like you I use a 7" android tablet (a cheap one from china for me) for offroad / touring navigation.

The ebay ($80) cost isn't too bad - depending on the source of the 250K maps. The Natmap 1:250,000 maps covering Australia (ECW format suitable for use with OziExplorer) are free to download from http://www.ga.gov.au/cedda/data/279?p=1&r=TYPE  Thus the only real cost should be the oziexplorer licence, which for android is $25USD (about $36AUD).  If people want a better version than the natmap one, then EOTopo (1:200,000) is available for $90 from http://www.exploroz.com/Shop/ExplorOz+EOTopo_200K.aspx.

As another (free) alternative is to download and install;
- Memory Map for android - http://memory-map.com.au/mapping-software/android-app-for-topo-maps-hema-maps-and-marine-charts.html.
- Topo250 maps (all of Australia - provided by Hema I think) - From http://www.memory-map.com.au/mapchunks/AUS/  You'll need two files; Topo250-2.qct and Topo250-2.qc3 from there.

Just some other options for people to consider anyhow.

John

Offline OarsumMUX

• LS-M Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2016, 04:02:13 AM »
As most of us are relying more on GPS guidance a good back up map system for use on your mobile phone are "HERE maps" by Nokia. It is a free download just select what countries you require the maps cover most of the world and they can be used offline. Nokia have been doing maps for a long time and are pretty good at it. Currently we are using "HERE maps" in inland Croatia and find them detailed, accurate and easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrisVegas

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:03:11 AM »
As most of us are relying more on GPS guidance a good back up map system for use on your mobile phone are "HERE maps" by Nokia. It is a free download just select what countries you require the maps cover most of the world and they can be used offline. Nokia have been doing maps for a long time and are pretty good at it. Currently we are using "HERE maps" in inland Croatia and find them detailed, accurate and easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good tip, thanks! 

We did a similar thing 2 years ago with a product called Copilot.  We were doing a 3 month driving trip through Europe and Copilot was amazing!  The free version allowed you to download a couple of countries, but we added all of Europe for a very reasonable cost.  I managed to drive through Paris, London, Rome, Munich, Stuttgardt and all coutries inbetween without too much drama.
2015 MU-X LS-U | TJM Bullbar & steps | TJM Torq winch | XGS 4000 | MickeyT ATZ P3 | ECUSHOP UltraBoost | Redarc SBI | TJM dual batt | XRay 220 HID | HR Towbar | Redarc TowPro | Airtec snorkel | 8" GPS | ARB 112  tank | MSA seatcovers | Sandgrabbas | Rhino Pioneer | 42" LED bar | Supapeg awnin

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal