Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Photography tips and tricks  (Read 19079 times)

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Re: Photography tips and tricks
« Reply #30 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »
Battlemantis Noooooo.... This is Canon country.... Come on.....  :p :p :cup: :icon_thumleft:
What is this Nikon... It's blasphemy!

I feel the Nikon full frame system has better dynamic range and image quality, the Sony sensors they are using are excellent. Can't beat Canon with some of their glass though!

I don't have any gear at the moment, all sold a while back ... so I could go either way when I pull trigger on the new gear, so for now I'm sitting on the fence  :cup:   ;D

MU-X LS-T MY15 | Bonnet Protector | Isuzu Snorkel | Isuzu Tow Bar | ARB Deluxe Combo Bar | Geolander A/T G015 255/65R17 | "Be the change you want to see."

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #32 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »
Hmmm ... both great camera's.

Dynamic range and image quality on the Nikon, it's powerful little body, but the kit glass isn't so hot though.

The Canon does well with faster image tracking and has a really useful touch screen which I think you will like.

These guy's have the benefit of handling both cameras:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd6urjDuqtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF1WwPS_MG0

Go in store and handle both camera's, see which you like the feel of. Bargain them down and get a good price.  Don't listen to anything the salesman says.

Then buy the Canon  ;D  :icon_thumleft:

Take lots of pics, and post them on here  :cup:
MU-X LS-T MY15 | Bonnet Protector | Isuzu Snorkel | Isuzu Tow Bar | ARB Deluxe Combo Bar | Geolander A/T G015 255/65R17 | "Be the change you want to see."

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #33 on: Mar 12, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »
Oh yes one more thing. The newer 750D and 760D have just launched, so they will be looking to move the 700D stock ... make sure you get a good price on it!

And no it's worth the $$$ for the newer models ... rather buy the D5300 if you want to spend over $1000, but that's what we trying to avoid doing here  ;)

Update: Here you go mate, good bargaining tool for JBHifi / Harvey Norman:

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/canon-700d-movie-twin-lens-kit-18-55mm55-250mm-700dmtk

Just make sure that whoever you buy from, that you get the kit that has both the newer STM lenses.

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #34 on: Mar 13, 2015, 06:10:06 AM »
Excellent info in those videos, great find,  time to go shopping I think, Good Guys also not to far away so should have some fun chasing a good price.

Offline archviper

• LS-M Member
« Reply #35 on: Mar 17, 2015, 08:01:13 PM »
Just sharing a thought:  I was into SLR photography (film) for almost 2 decades (ahem!); it was a great and enjoyable hobby specially when developing your own film.

2 years ago I decided to shift into DSLR and this is where some of my contacts from Ted's and HN came in handy.  Almost all mentioned something along the lines:  "if you want to make photography as a source of income then spend big on a full frame Nikon or Canon.  If not, but as a passionate hobby or an enthusiast then Sony is your best bet".  So bought an A77 body (couldn't afford the A99) and as their advice invested in 2 good F/2.8 lenses.  So far I am happy with the outcome of all my landscape shots - real value for money.

Flikr.com is a great inspiration on anything from landscape to architectural photography.  somehow it's a great start on composition....

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #36 on: Mar 22, 2015, 07:45:40 PM »
Well picked up my Canon 700d kit today, have not had much of a play yet, couple of random test pics, boy to I have a lot to learn, auto mode will be used a bit at first, but looking forward to learning how to use it properly.

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #37 on: Mar 22, 2015, 07:52:36 PM »
Congrats on the purchase, was wondering what happened  :icon_thumleft:

I recommend the books earlier in the thread if you want to move out of auto mode and understand what you are doing.

Good luck!  :cup:

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #38 on: Mar 22, 2015, 08:27:45 PM »
Got some basic stuff with camera to help take it off auto, but yep will check them out for sure, already I am hmmm, what other bits do I need, lens, filters, tripod,

Offline DavidFong

• SX Member
    • Fong photo gallery
« Reply #39 on: Mar 22, 2015, 10:03:31 PM »
Over the years I think one of the more important things to consider when choosing a camera is the maxim :

"The best camera is the one you have with you."

For 99% of people, 99% of the time, that means the camera attached to their mobile phone.
So it is good to make sure your mobile phone has at least a fair photo-taking capability, but at the same time be entirely aware of the limitations of that camera (which can still be better than some-one carrying a Box-Brownie camera with ISO 200 film).

In more practical terms, for some-one like me who would like to carry a more sophisticated camera with me much of the time, and also carry food, and work equipment including torches, laptop, some sterilized equipment, syringes, a small bundle of papers, then lightness of camera equipment is essential. Even if I don't have to carry quite all that stuff, and have my car nearby, I think it is convenient to be able to carry my camera, a back-up camera body, and several lenses (e.g. long telephoto, normal zoom and wide-angle) and water (and other short-hiking equipment) without looking like a camel.

It is also handy to have light equipment when the car needs to be left at home, and I am travelling on international flights and foreign buses.

So having had both film and digital SLRs, my preference is for a 'light' camera set-up which still has an ability to change lenses, in my case the Olympus/Panasonic micro-4/3 system.

My E-P5 (<400 grammes) with 60mm macro (120mm 'full-frame' focal-length equivalent, less than 200 grammes) is light enough to carry and take photos when I walk between workplaces

http://vkelim.smugmug.com/Flowers/2014-Spring/i-Cm22fTD/A

or when on cycling trips

http://vkelim.smugmug.com/Flowers/Summer-2014/i-Vw7tQXn/A

or, with a 9mm lens (18mm 'full-frame' focal-length equivalent), 50 g), light enough to take one-handed shots when cycling across the Westgate Bridge

http://vkelim.smugmug.com/Holidays/Melbourne/i-kBx7xxN/A

or carry while returning back to my apartment from a supermarket in China (17mm lens, approx 150g)

http://vkelim.smugmug.com/Holidays/China-2014-unsorted/i-Vz8qPM6/A

(If I didn't want a camera which could change lenses, cameras like the Sony RX-100 or Panasonic LX100 would be suitable).

Just like many other hobbies, when the camera bug bites, you will be better placed to know what your SECOND good camera should be like!

David

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #40 on: Mar 28, 2015, 10:51:27 AM »
UV filter, is this something recommended to use always, part time, bright and sunny times only or a good idea to leave on to protect lens.

I have a polarising filter for when on beach / water etc, just curious about UV filter and why and when it should be in use.

Thanks Grant

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #41 on: Mar 28, 2015, 02:08:04 PM »
Well, you spend thousands on a quality lens, and then you diminish the quality of the image by putting a cheap piece of glass in front of it? So for me, no, I don't use them.

Plenty of for and against arguments on the Internet though.

I think for now, your time and money should be spent using your camera and understanding it, forget about getting anything else for the time being.

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #42 on: Mar 28, 2015, 02:13:30 PM »
Thanks mate, just was not sure of the benefit if any, starting to get some idea of what does what,  but still heaps to play with

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #43 on: Mar 28, 2015, 02:23:55 PM »
This article sums up the types of filters and their use quite nicely:

https://photographylife.com/lens-filters-explained

Once you comfortable with the camera and the type of photo's you are taking, you can think about whether you want a filter or not. Don't go buying them now.

Offline Jimbo14

• SX Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #44 on: Apr 01, 2015, 03:54:39 PM »
Thought that I would share another couple of other photo's with you. Both images are a couple of years old now but a good example of both a slow shutter speed with a panning technique and the second one with a small depth of field.
2014 D-Max, ARB Deluxe colour coded steel bull bar, side rails and steps, Custom alloy tray with canopy, dual battery installed and heavy duty suspension. My ULTIMATE Touring Machine....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal