Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Photography tips and tricks  (Read 19084 times)

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Re: Photography tips and tricks
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2015, 05:37:22 PM »
I understand quality costs, however as a starter kit where is a good place to begin, looking at Canon eOS 600D, with 18 - 55mm & 75 - 300 lens's, new price is $749, seems like OK value, would you consider this a relatively good starting point, would also look at purchasing a quality flash and some filters in time.

If not where do I start, want to keep under $1,000

Thanks Grant

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2015, 06:00:20 PM »
Hey Grantm, what sort of things are you interested in photographing?

When would you be using your gear, on holiday / travelling, or quite often such as a hobby?

Do you have any current photography gear (lenses etc.) or would this be starting from scratch?
MU-X LS-T MY15 | Bonnet Protector | Isuzu Snorkel | Isuzu Tow Bar | ARB Deluxe Combo Bar | Geolander A/T G015 255/65R17 | "Be the change you want to see."

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2015, 06:42:55 PM »
Hi mate, from scratch, have done a bit in the past back in film days, had a reasonable nikon set up,  but camera gear all gone now and really lost touch with the newer technology with the DLSR. Wanting to get back in mainly a hobby, have a point and shoot for travel which is not bad but very limited, 

As far as what I want to photograph anything really, I like many others enjoy it

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2015, 07:21:04 PM »
OK well anything new under $1000 is either going to be a point and shoot (which is what you have now) or an entry level crop sensor DSLR.

The Canon 600D - 700D range are good entry level DSLRs. The image quality is about the same on all of them, the newer models offer small improvements such as a touch screen. They do decent video as well.

From the Nikon range, the Nikon D3300 is similar to the above in image quality and is a good entry level DSLR. If you want to do decent video as well, consider the D5300 which also adds an articulating screen, WiFi and GPS. A kit with the 18-140mm lens would be around $1000 - $1200.

For the price you looking at paying, I wouldn't say it matters between getting Canon or Nikon, so don't get caught up on that. Just get the best deal you can, i.e don't spend too much. I would suggest getting a general purpose lens that can cover a wider range of focal lengths, so that you can see where you enjoy shooting (close up objects, portraits or wildlife, birding or even astrophotography). Then you can buy another lens or two at the focal lengths you enjoying shooting at.

Crop sensor DSLRs (the ones mentioned above) aren't so good in low light conditions as their more expensive full frame cousins, and the kit zoom lenses aren't exactly the pinnacle of the optical high quality charts. However, these camera's can and will take good photos. Have a look at the two books I mentioned earlier in this thread. I recommend reading both of them if you interested in photography and would like to take your DSLR out of "auto" mode and use it like it was meant to be used.

If you enjoy it heaps, and find yourself limited at some point with the gear you have, then you can sell the cheap gear and invest in quality glass and a more expensive body.
MU-X LS-T MY15 | Bonnet Protector | Isuzu Snorkel | Isuzu Tow Bar | ARB Deluxe Combo Bar | Geolander A/T G015 255/65R17 | "Be the change you want to see."

Offline Jimbo14

• SX Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2015, 07:31:33 PM »
I have the original 5D which is a full frame sensor @12.6 megapixel, and a 5D MK II, which is also a full frame camera at 24 megapixel.

If there is one thing to remember about photography, that would be that everything is a trade off. Increase some thing over here and it will be to the detriment of some thing over there.

When it comes to what camera... All cameras now days are good. The more you spend however the functionality you have at your finger tips without having to go through menus or pressing two buttons at a time.

The quality of a photo is in the lense, as it is the lense that pulls the light back together to form a sharp image. The same as the eye, the eye is nothing but a lense, and the brain is the sensor!
2014 D-Max, ARB Deluxe colour coded steel bull bar, side rails and steps, Custom alloy tray with canopy, dual battery installed and heavy duty suspension. My ULTIMATE Touring Machine....

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2015, 08:04:43 PM »
Thank you guys, great info, just shopping around on line atm, trying to get a feel for what is available, so so much

OK tracked one of these down for a tad over $500
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-18-200mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx

One of these for $540 - https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/canon-eos-700d-dslr-body-only/

or this https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/canon-eos-700d-18-55mm-55-250mm-is-ii-lens-kit/

My thinking is the kit, gives me some change for some extras etc and looks like ok quality, then invest in better quality lens's as required, thoughts?

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2015, 08:18:05 PM »
Grantm, if you happy to buy "grey market", then I'd suggest DWI, and this particular kit:

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Canon-EOS-700D-Kit-with-EF-S-18-135mm-IS-STM-Lens-Digital-SLR-Cameras.aspx?afid=17

As Jimbo14 rightly said, the glass is vital, and the one in the above kit is one of the newer releases for the APS-C (crop sensor) format, much lighter, covers a great general focal length, and is good with video.

To add to the mix, there's the D5300 from Nikon with WiFi and GPS tagging of your photo's. The D5300 body is considered an enthusiast level body rather than entry level:

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Nikon-D5300-Kit-AF-S-18-140mm-VR-Lens-Digital-SLR-Cameras.aspx

I might be a little biased towards Nikon though  ;)

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2015, 08:20:34 PM »
What is "Grey market" & DWI

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2015, 08:23:53 PM »
Well you were listing Kogan links, so I thought you might be happy with grey market imports.

It means the cameras are imported by these companies, not by Canon Australia or Nikon Australia. Your warranty would be with these companies directly. Canon AU or Nikon AU do not have to honour the warranty or may even refuse to repair it.

Actually, I think some of the stuff DWI (the links I posted above in my previous post) sells might be directly from Canon AU or Nikon AU, so best to check with them, you might get a good deal with a local warranty  :icon_thumleft:

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2015, 08:26:08 PM »
ok yep got it, no not buying through Kogan, will buy from a local supplier, these are just first links that came up when searching

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2015, 08:29:29 PM »
No worries, I always buy local myself.

If you have a JBHifi near you, I find them the best to bargain with. Go in there knowing what a good price is from the grey market guys, and what a good price is from the local guys, and bargain with JBHifi until you happy  ;)

They usually have a 15% off camera's sale every couple months. With Easter around the corner, I'm sure we'll see another one of those sales coming up soon. Gives you some time to decide on what you would like and also get it for a good price.  :cup:

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #26 on: Mar 12, 2015, 08:35:10 PM »
Yep JB just up the road their advertised price is $999 & Harvey Norman $998 so I reckon around $800 - $900 would be happy there so will start the haggle on weekend I think.

Thanks again for tips appreciate it

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2015, 08:43:53 PM »
That's a decent kit with the newer STM lenses.

Let us know how you go, hopefully we'll see a couple more pics of your truck out and about  ;D

Offline Jimbo14

• SX Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »
Grantm, if you happy to buy "grey market", then I'd suggest DWI, and this particular kit:

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Canon-EOS-700D-Kit-with-EF-S-18-135mm-IS-STM-Lens-Digital-SLR-Cameras.aspx?afid=17

As Jimbo14 rightly said, the glass is vital, and the one in the above kit is one of the newer releases for the APS-C (crop sensor) format, much lighter, covers a great general focal length, and is good with video.

To add to the mix, there's the D5300 from Nikon with WiFi and GPS tagging of your photo's. The D5300 body is considered an enthusiast level body rather than entry level:

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Nikon-D5300-Kit-AF-S-18-140mm-VR-Lens-Digital-SLR-Cameras.aspx

I might be a little biased towards Nikon though  ;)

Battlemantis Noooooo.... This is Canon country.... Come on.....  :p :p :cup: :icon_thumleft:
What is this Nikon... It's blasphemy!
2014 D-Max, ARB Deluxe colour coded steel bull bar, side rails and steps, Custom alloy tray with canopy, dual battery installed and heavy duty suspension. My ULTIMATE Touring Machine....

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #29 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:00:13 PM »
For sure, heading to Fraser with Camper trailer in tow over easter so should test MUX fairly well, plenty to photograph there

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal