Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Photography tips and tricks  (Read 19078 times)

Offline Myst

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Photography tips and tricks
« on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:10:31 PM »
Hi all, I'm a freelance photographer amongst other things, and had someone mention that they wouldn't mind some pointers from time to time.

I thought raising a topic here for all your questions for anyone to offer suggestions might be an idea....

So, ask away! Will throw up tips and tricks from time to time as well..

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
Re: Photography tips and tricks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:46:31 PM »

Hi all, I'm a freelance photographer amongst other things, and had someone mention that they wouldn't mind some pointers from time to time.

I thought raising a topic here for all your questions for anyone to offer suggestions might be an idea....

So, ask away! Will throw up tips and tricks from time to time as well..

Thank and a great idea for a thread.

My wife and I like photography but we are very much amateurs so this will come in handy :)
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

DmaxDave

« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
Great idea.  My wife is the new owner of a DSLR and would appreciate a recommendation of a good learner's book or maybe an online learning programme.  Thanks

Offline lino6

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • Watermellons, I dunno
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »
I know nothing about photography but I have been known to flash.....  :laughing7:

Awesome idea for a thread though, I'm sure I will use this service if I am ever allowed to touch "our" camera  :laughing7:
After 23 rounds it was clear that the dish didn't run away with the spoon!!

Offline Myst

• LS-U Member
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »
Helps to know which slr camera you guys are playing with

I'm using a canon eos 7D

It's probably easiest to start off with essential accessories. My favourites and most commonly used are my tripods (manfrotto, one heavy, one light), a solid external flash (canon 430ex) and a remote trigger (hahnel). These give a good solid base for the camera and I can be up to a hundred yards away and still take shots.

Stability is everything as it means you can use a longer exposure and get far richer colour saturation than you otherwise would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DmaxDave

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2014, 03:03:47 PM »
Canon EOS700D with tripod for us

Thanks
Dave

Offline lino6

• LS-U Member
  • Watermellons, I dunno
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2014, 03:33:20 PM »
Ours is a Canon 600D. We originally had the 1000D with the twin lens kit, but the camera died so we got the 600D and just used the same lenses.

I have no idea when it comes to all the settings and all that stuff. I would love to learn how to use the thing properly one day, but I am a hands on learner so google isn't my friend! Probably end up doing a course, if I can find the time...  :blob6:

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2014, 06:57:05 PM »
My wife is the new owner of a DSLR and would appreciate a recommendation of a good learner's book or maybe an online learning programme.

Probably the best books to start with are both from Bryan Peterson:

Understanding Shutter Speed
Understanding Exposure

If you read those books, understand them, and practice heaps, you will be well on your way to taking great shots.

MU-X LS-T MY15 | Bonnet Protector | Isuzu Snorkel | Isuzu Tow Bar | ARB Deluxe Combo Bar | Geolander A/T G015 255/65R17 | "Be the change you want to see."

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:05:56 AM »
We have had a range of Canon cameras over the years and as always we never really did get the most out of them due to our lack of understanding.

We now have a Sony A57 or 87 or something along those lines and we love it. We understand its probably not the quality of the Canon or Nikons but for us it is really easy to use. It has some great features that help dummys like us get nicer shots.
Of course it doesn't help with composition but it certainly has helped with the quality of our images in a wider variety of conditions.

Any thoughts on the Sony range Myst?
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

Offline knoath

« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:27:46 AM »
I have a Nikon 5100D with 18-55 and 70-200 zoom, and my oldest son (12) has a Canon EOS 600D with a 70-300 zoom but I'd like to get him an 18-55 or similar… gee, they're not cheap!
I wanted to get him a Nikon so we could share lenses but at the time of purchase we couldn't go past the value of the Canon package at the time.
We manage to get some good pics, but no spectacular pics yet. We share a tripod but I think I'll get a monopod for him for Christmas as it just works better for motor racing shots.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

Offline Myst

• LS-U Member
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2014, 10:46:01 AM »
Been a bit lax on posting here, sorry!

For those with D-SLR's that arent more familiar with the way they work, here's a little tip that will help compose some more creative shots.

This is for auto-mode (otherwise known as point and shoot!)

Most D-SLR's have a series of focal points in the viewfinder which are shown as a number of feint rectangles normally. When you depress the shutter release button half way, it tells the camera to focus on the scene in front of it and take a number of measurements to tell the camera what to do to get the best image. This includes telling it what shutter speed, ISO (how sensitive the light sensor is - or film speed for the old schoolers), white balance, f stop. This normally takes a little bit (tenths of a second - long time in photography terms) and when its done you will hear a beep from the camera and see the focal points flash red for the points that are in focus.

Now the creative bit. Say for example your subject is off to the side of the image, but you want it in the centre but keep the background in focus? Or you want to deliberately have an image that is focussed on the background with something in the foreground slightly out of focus?

When you half depress the shutter release and hear the camera beep and the focal points show red, the cameras focus and other settings are locked while you hold the button either half way or depress it fully. It will only re-take settings if you release and then re-press the shutter release. What this means is you can let the camera takes its settings on part of a scene, and while holding the shutter release half way, pan or tilt the camera to take in the image that you want.

By way of example... My D-Max is sitting on a bluff overlooking the ocean, and the way i want to compose the image means that the camera can't focus on the car (might be in a spot where there is no focal point for example). I can centre the car in the viewfinder and half depress the shutter release, so the camera takes its settings based on the car and whatever in the background is on a focal point in the viewfinder. The camera beeps and the focal points and other settings lock in while the button is held down, and i can then pan the camera to have the car at the side of the image to take in the view behind it. I then press the shutter release fully and the camera takes the image...

It was this technique i used for the image attached. Where i wanted the fisherman in the final image wasnt under a focal point, so i took the metering off of him (using the central image point of the viewfinder only, so dead centre of the image over the fisherman), then panned the camera left and tilted up a little to get the final composition i wanted.

Offline lino6

• LS-U Member
  • Watermellons, I dunno
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »
So I got SWMBO a Tamron 150-600mm lens for our Canon camera for Christmas . Just need to get out and use it now. Might head up the river tomorrow and see if we can get some pics with it. She is not confident she will use it  :crybaby2: but hopefully once she starts using it she'll see the value in it.

:occasion14:

Offline Myst

• LS-U Member
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »
Good work lino6, everyone needs to start somewhere and build up their confidence!

Offline Jimbo14

• SX Member
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2015, 02:40:39 PM »
Here's an image that I took last year.
Just thought that I would share some thing here on this thread also.
2014 D-Max, ARB Deluxe colour coded steel bull bar, side rails and steps, Custom alloy tray with canopy, dual battery installed and heavy duty suspension. My ULTIMATE Touring Machine....

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2015, 03:59:21 PM »
Cool, what camera setup do you have?
MU-X LS-T MY15 | Bonnet Protector | Isuzu Snorkel | Isuzu Tow Bar | ARB Deluxe Combo Bar | Geolander A/T G015 255/65R17 | "Be the change you want to see."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal