Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Generators - Types  (Read 9982 times)

Offline Carlin1983

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
Generators - Types
« on: Jan 13, 2018, 12:31:50 PM »
Guys - Im looking into getting a Generator, Mostly for emergency backup at home, but may also take out and about - I want to make sure i buy the right type so if i plug fridge or want to plug my PC or TV in (i would have a UPS between Generator and PC) i won't get issues.

I been looking around and the more $$$ ones are the inverter ones then the next step down appear to be ones with AVR (Auto Voltage Reg).  Would a Generator with AVR be suitable or should i just fork out and get an inverter one. 

thanks
2010 D-max LS Hi-Ride - HPD Catch can - EGR Bypass - Donaldson Prefilter - Dobinson Shocks - OME Leaf Springs - Engine Data Scan - Greasable Shackles and Pins.

Offline sdouglas

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: MUX
  • 2016 MUX LS U . TJM bar, HR towbar, TOYO AT2’s
Re: Generators - Types
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2018, 01:54:07 PM »
Hi Carlin, I bought a Yamaha 2800 inverter generator about 6 months before cyclone Yasi. It powers one of our fridges and some lights easily when the powers out. Don’t just look at the power drain of the appliance but some especially with compressors have a higher drain when kicking in. I lived in Townsville when Yasi came through and there were many confirmed reports of cheaper brand inverter generators frying electrical appliances. If you get a decent known brand then you will ultimately have it for many years. If some clown doesn’t steal it. There were also several generators stolen from backyards while being used too so get a good lock and cable. Also, during Yasi one unfortunate young man didn’t understand the issue with carbon monoxide and ran his generator inside his shed where he was sleeping. He didn’t wake up. Also try to hear them running as some can be extremely loud and annoying to others. Mines probably a little big for camping unless in a large group. My parents 2000 watt Inverter Honda is still going strong after 15 years of solid use. Just service them properly.
Hope this helps Shane
Don’t worry about things you can’t change!

The following users thanked this post: My Names Earl

Offline tom60

• XRunner Member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2018, 02:55:40 PM »
We bought a Kipor 2000 when we lived on the boat.  Apparently the Chinese factory was producing Honda suitcase generators and then produced their own 'replica'.  It's slightly more noisy than the Honda but considerably cheaper.  If the load isn't great the generator will reduce speed and use less fuel (it's an inverter type).

One of the thing to be careful with when selecting a generator is not to confuse the stated electrical output with the actual output.  Eg, our Kipor 2000 is rated at 2000 Watts, but that is only the initial start up load.  The maximum continuous load is 1600 Watts.

If you have done an energy audit you will have calculated your maximum load and identified suitable generators.   I doubt I'd take our Kipor camping preferring to rely on a 12V/240V inverter, battery(s) and solar panels.

Offline Grae35

• LS-M Member
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:07:00 PM »
Hi Carlin. I just bought one yesterday as a generator for free camping in the caravan, but also a back up for home.
If you want the best and can afford it , then get a yamaha inverter generator as Shane suggests. If it is only for occasional use then check out the Cromtech outback from mygenerator.com.au  .It does 2400Wpeak and 2100W continuous power, quiet at only 52 -59dBa,only weighs 20kg dry and is good on fuel usage . Best thing for me too was the price. A little over $800 on sale with a first purchase coupon. The Yamaha is normally north of $2k, but if using every day would be worth it.
Whatever way you go make sure you get a pure sine wave inverter generator and you will be ok with using sensitive electronic equipment -computer, laptop, tv etc.

Offline reverendbazza

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »
G,Day Carlin apart from Hondas & Yamahas which are no doubt very good inverter generators, have look
on line ITECHWORLD WA they have one inverter generator rated at 4.8 kva and very little heavier or
bigger in size to compared to say a Honda 2kva. The specs read up very good also the reviews and at
$2300 value. Where is it made !.
                                                      Cheers Bazza
2015 lsu space cab 4x4 auto
provent 200 catch can,2 micron secondary fuel filter,fosko
egr plate,isuzu motorsport intercooler hoses

The following users thanked this post: Boris

Offline mydmax2

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »
G’day Carlin
A steer away from just generators and AVR ones too. The AVR May hold the voltage at/near the right voltage but it may be way out of phase and no where near 50 cycles / sec. Many modern items use switch mode power supplies which are made to operate at 50hertz. If the frequency isn’t right for some items the switch mode inputs either don’t know what to do with it and they get hot and burn inside or simply won’t start operating
With 12v to 240v inverters similar happens.
I have one Laptop which runs on 12v inverter Non Sinewave, and one which will run on the Non sine wave but gets a bit too warm. I imagine the various generators are similar. Wave forms different though.

My Honda E20i will run in Ecomode as many do, and it then only makes enough power to cover the load.
It will run a 9” angle grinder and I have used it to weld with an efficient inverter stick welder with small rods in emergency situations.

If using any generator for battery charging don’t use the 12v charge outlet. They are next to useless and require the generator to run at full speed. Using a 240v battery charger with Genny on Eco, means it will run much slower and efficiently and quieter while running the battery charger at it’s full output. Far more efficient this way.
Cheers

Offline Carlin1983

• LS-T Member
2010 D-max LS Hi-Ride - HPD Catch can - EGR Bypass - Donaldson Prefilter - Dobinson Shocks - OME Leaf Springs - Engine Data Scan - Greasable Shackles and Pins.

Offline Wal

• XRunner Member
  • 2015 DMAX LS-U
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2018, 03:02:53 PM »
You do pay for what you get. Personal choice would be Honda or Yamaha which are proven generators. Though you pay more you get reliabilty.
2015 DMAX LS-U Dual Cab Tour Mate l  Venitian Red l  EGR Canopy l  Nudge Bar l Korr Light Bar l Dual Battery l Tinted Windows l Reversing Sensors l Dr Air Compressor l HPD Catchcan l Digoptions Head Unit l Toughdog Shocks

Offline Carlin1983

• LS-T Member
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:06:23 PM »
If I was going to use it heaps I’d go Honda / Yamaha. But am tempted by them tradetools ones.

Offline OldMucks

• LS-T Member
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2018, 02:18:02 PM »
Couple of mates have generators one has a Yamaha 2.4 kva about 4 months old and it started to play up he had a look inside and reckons its the worst assembled machine he has seen - paint missing - uncleaned or painted welds - the problem was corrosion on some of the terminals that he is trying to get fixed under warranty.
Reckons next time he get a cheap one.
The other bloke has a property and bought a Grudge 3.0 kva at a farm fest gets thrown into ute when he needs it went for 3 yrs and blew a voltage regulator $60 for a new one obout 5 yrs ago still going strong.
Reckons next one will be another one.
I tend to agree with both of them - buy cheap and throw it out when it plays up.

Offline mydmax2

« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2018, 02:34:50 PM »
One that has a regulator won't be an inverter generator and so negates what the op is asking about. Carlin wants to run sensitive stuff so any other type than an inverter isn't going to be what he wants no matter how cheap or throw away they are.

Offline sdouglas

• XRunner Member
  • 2016 MUX LS U . TJM bar, HR towbar, TOYO AT2’s
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:13:24 PM »
Yeh, buy cheap and throw it out but when they play up it’s usually when you need it most. There’s no one to fix it or way to buy a new one when your in the middle of a natural disaster or 8 o’clock at night in a storm.
Don’t worry about things you can’t change!

Offline Carlin1983

• LS-T Member
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:12:25 PM »
Ive been also look at the Westinghouse and SPTools Generators.

they have a range of non inverter Generators but produce SineWave quality power - My understanding is this would be suitable to sensitive devices (even thou id still use a UPS)

link to westinghouse info - https://glencoairpower-4f77.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/westinghouse_generator_brochure.pdf

Offline tom60

• XRunner Member
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:10:13 PM »
The Westinghouse brochure does not specifically state the output is 'pure' sine wave.  It might be... but then it might be modified sine wave which could adversely affect electronics in some appliances.  I would check it was pure sine wave before purchasing.

The following users thanked this post: Carlin1983

Offline mydmax2

« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:44:31 PM »
Any generator produces sine waves, it is just not necessarily in synch with the thing you want to Power or the correct voltage. A generator won’t create modified sqaurewaves, they are a product of electronic switching.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal