Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Hand brake in 4wd  (Read 5748 times)

Offline 257Bob

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
Re: Hand brake in 4wd
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2017, 11:17:57 PM »
For what it's worth I never trust my handbrakes when on a steep slope, whether a ramp or out bush getting through a gate.  I always put the manual box in 1st and turn the engine off.  I've seen a couple of vehicles roll back when in neutral with handbrake on.  Not worth it. 
Baldrick, your breath comes straight from Satan's bottom.

Offline mydmax2

« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2017, 08:00:40 AM »
So it seems your vehicle slipped on something which wasn't there and slid into the water. In 4wd might help with that!

Offline tess

« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2017, 09:35:29 AM »
So it seems your vehicle slipped on something which wasn't there and slid into the water. In 4wd might help with that!

Not quite correct
1. No crocs so didn't check for them
2. Not my vehicle, many other trailers in carpark, some cars, I'd say we were in deeper than most due to trailer height.
3. Slime was there 8 hours prior so
no need to check for slime or crocs, as far as im aware crocs dont reside south of Brisvegas
4. Now you're getting closer to topic at hand, would it have slipped into croc infested water if it was in 4wd, in park, handbrake on ?

;D

Offline mydmax2

« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2017, 10:35:02 AM »
I mentioned if in 4wd it would provide more traction and hold the vehicle, if slippery. You placed it in 4WD and then had more traction and drove it out. You answered your own question.

The following users thanked this post: Mike C

Offline tess

« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »
Thank you kind sir.

Offline whitey001

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »
But it's 4 wheel DRIVE, not 4 wheel PARK. If it's in Park, there won't be drive going to the wheels. Rev the car in Park and it doesn't go anywhere. Same as Neutral but it would roll away.  Only thing i would think is previous times when you have stayed in the vehicle is you have kept the transmission in Drive, thus keeping drive to the wheels/tyres.

Al.

Offline mach

• SX Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #21 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:16:21 PM »
Hell yes!
if it was in 4wd and in park all wheels would be connected to the gearbox which is locked in park

The following users thanked this post: tess

Offline xsm

« Reply #22 on: Nov 19, 2017, 07:11:48 PM »
OK, this is how I would look at it, let’s say you have 2H selected and you are parked on a slope with the vehicle in “park” and the handbrake off. You decide to stick your trolley jack under rear diff and jack the car up. It will roll away won’t it. If you do the same thing but have 4H or 4L selected the car won’t roll away - yes?

The tyres provide a degree of grip up to a point where enough “slipriness” will cause them to let go. If you were to slowly increase the degree of slipriness, wouldn’t 4 lots of grip hold the same car still for longer than 2 lots of grip?

I’m loving the new word of the day - slipriness:)

Cheers
Martin

Offline mux339

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #23 on: Nov 19, 2017, 07:23:09 PM »
That's a very non-technical term Martin. What we really need to know is the coefficient of friction for:
  • boat ramp - dry
  • boat ramp - wet
  • boat ramp - covered in lots of slimy stuff

A great analogy by the way. I am now able to wrap my head around this dilemma.

Thanks
2016 MY15 MU-X LST 4x4 Auto | OEM steel bullbar | OEM snorkel | HR tow bar

Offline mydmax2

« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2017, 07:56:32 PM »
The boat ramp could be called a slipway I suppose., able to launch anything into the water just using gravity.

Offline tess

« Reply #25 on: Nov 19, 2017, 08:02:54 PM »
Being a engineer i could supply the comps, on the 2nd bottle od red so can't be stuffed.  ;D

Aaannnd, if this happened in croc water this debate would be dead, much like the Colorado.......tidal water  :icon_salut:

Offline Banshee

« Reply #26 on: Nov 19, 2017, 08:17:01 PM »
Hell yes!
if it was in 4wd and in park all wheels would be connected to the gearbox which is locked in park

That's the way I understand it to be........rightly or wrongly.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal