Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Hand brake in 4wd  (Read 5749 times)

Offline tess

Hand brake in 4wd
« on: Nov 17, 2017, 02:12:11 PM »
Ok so you know how you see vehicles submerged in water at boat ramps and you wonder how that's possible........well it's quite easy as it turns out :)

Lake tyers conc ramp, reversed down a Colorado until the rear wheels were in the water about 50mm deep as the trailer is easily loaded deeper. I had handbrake and in park, walked to the rear to help land the boat....nxt minute shes sliding.....fark, luckily the trailer jack knifed which stopped it being fully submerged. It got up to 2/3 up doors, so i jumped in through the window and egaged 4wd and drove it out. The ramp was really slimy.

My question......if it was in 4wd parked as above would the front wheels provide traction ie would it have still slid in ?

Offline tess

Re: Hand brake in 4wd
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2017, 02:13:48 PM »
Not.my vehicle btw....... :headbang:

Offline Banshee

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2017, 02:33:39 PM »
Haven't launched the boat with the Isuzu yet but when using the Falcon (auto) handbrake on and transmission in park.

Offline tess

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2017, 02:45:09 PM »
Ninja edit, it was in park not drive oops

Offline oldpiscator

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2017, 03:30:11 PM »
Good question that. Suspect it would work but would like to hear from an expert.

Offline mux339

• XRunner Member
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
 :worthles:

Was it slimy under the front wheels as well as the back wheels?
2016 MY15 MU-X LST 4x4 Auto | OEM steel bullbar | OEM snorkel | HR tow bar

The following users thanked this post: UrbanJungle1966

Offline tess

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2017, 05:22:57 PM »
:worthles:

Was it slimy under the front wheels as well as the back wheels?

Haha, yeah well my phone was in my pocket and is now deceased......so no pics.
Perfect concrete ramp with great grip, just the rear wheels in about 25_50mm of water. You struggled to stand up on it, this was not known until this all happened. There is a raging debate about this exact same situtation on a FB page, great question i think.

Offline mydmax2

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2017, 06:00:54 PM »
The idea of using 4WD is so you utilize the grip available from 4 tyres and not two tyres only.

The drive and/or the handbrake effect and if in park means the retardation or drive available is to all wheels. The fronts with less weight would have a litle less grip but will at least have additional grip to add to the lessened rear grip.

Didn't anyone check the underwater surface first???

What tyres were on the vehicle? Some will cut through crap better than others.
If you have 4wd, why wouldn't you use it. Experience is a great teacher. Foresight is also an advantage as is thinking about what you are going to do.

Offline tess

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2017, 06:29:29 PM »
Used this ramp prob 30 times before, have pulled my 1.6t boat out with our vf commodore in same ramp so 4wd is not required.
Ute had road tyres and we launched there same morning, you must not be around boats much.
Only difference over past launch and retieves is i got out to help land it as it was windy as hell.

Offline Banshee

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
..................... Experience is a great teacher................

Experience is something I always seemed to get a split second after I really needed it.

Offline sdouglas

• XRunner Member
  • 2016 MUX LS U . TJM bar, HR towbar, TOYO AT2’s
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2017, 06:50:39 PM »
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I have always used four wheel drive on ramps if in a 4x4. If on a busy ramp some people roar up the ramp after loading their boat and drag water all the way to the top making it very slick. Even the best concrete ramps get slippery. Great save Tess , would have had the heart pounding on that one.
Cheers Shane
Don’t worry about things you can’t change!

Offline whitey001

• LS-T Member
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2017, 05:21:04 PM »
If it's in Park with the handbrake on it wouldn't make any difference if 4wd was selected or not.  The vehicle is stationary with no drive to the wheels.  On a slippery ramp it would almost have to be the weight of the trailer/vehicle overcame the grip (friction) of the tyres.  I would think tyre choice would have to be more the culprit.

Al.

Offline tess

« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2017, 07:36:38 PM »
If it's in Park with the handbrake on it wouldn't make any difference if 4wd was selected or not.  The vehicle is stationary with no drive to the wheels.  On a slippery ramp it would almost have to be the weight of the trailer/vehicle overcame the grip (friction) of the tyres.  I would think tyre choice would have to be more the culprit.

Al.

Yeah i agree, but if it was in drive with handbrake on it would have stayed put. I think  ;D

Offline mydmax2

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:10:19 PM »
Tess
What has me not being around boats much, or plenty of times, have to do with wise checking of the surrounds.

Sometimes there could be crocodiles to bite you, other times there isn’t, still best to check the surrounds and use what is available to you.

Offline tess

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »
Tess
What has me not being around boats much, or plenty of times, have to do with wise checking of the surrounds.

Sometimes there could be crocodiles to bite you, other times there isn’t, still best to check the surrounds and use what is available to you.

Ahhh yes grasshopper.......sometimes you don't need to check for crocs as you know they're not there  :headbang:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal